In Universe Attributes
|Anchor||Monkey D. Luffy|
Real World Information
|Thread Address||Shonen Jump (formerly); Infinite Anime (currently)|
One Piece is the universe in which the manga and anime of the same name takes place. The protagonists are the members of the Straw Hat Pirates, who seek to find the great treasure One Piece, left behind by the late Pirate King Gol D. Roger. Unusually for a Looping universe, all of the Straw Hats activated within their first ten Loops. Though their rate of new Loopers considerably slowed down afterward, their bonds remain as tight as ever.
The currently unnamed planet the characters live on (referred to as the "Blue Star" in ancient writings found on its moon) has very different geography from Earth's, consisting of one large continent (the Red Line), one long chain of islands within the Grand Line (a giant sea current which circumnavigates the world), and four seas (North Blue, South Blue, East Blue and West Blue) that make up two larger oceans. A fifth sea known as All Blue also exists, where all the seas flow into, but its exact location has yet to be revealed.
The Grand Line is surrounded on both sides by two Calm Belts, where no air or water currents exist, and is home to Sea Kings, monstrous sea creatures. The Grand Line itself is divided into two halves: the first, Paradise, which can only be entered via Reverse Mountain (part of the Red Line), and the New World, which is far more dangerous. To enter it, people must either cross through the city of Marejois (located on the Red Line) or through Fishman Island, which is at the bottom of the sea and under the Red Line.
The skies are home to the Sky Ocean, home of the White Sea and White White Sea. These seas both have Sky Islands in them. Sea Clouds and Island Clouds are both created when a compound in Seastone called "pyrobloin" is ejected into the air by volcanic eruptions and comes in contact with water vapors. All seas are home to a wide variety of pirates.
- World Government: A corrupt organization founded eight hundred years ago when twenty kings banded together and overthrew the Great Kingdom, then banned all research into it and its history. They rule the majority of the world in the present day. The leaders are the Gorosei (or "Five Elder Stars"). Other prominent members include the Commander-in-Chief (who oversees their military and Cipher Pol) and the Reverie (or "World Council"), a council which consists of the world's greatest leaders of various kingdoms.
- Celestial Dragons/World Nobles: After the World Government's founding, nineteen of the twenty kings moved to Marejois. Their descendants are the World Nobles, and believe that due to having the blood of the "creators of the world", they are superior to all other beings. Due to their status, they can do anything they want, even kill, without punishment. (The twentieth king, of the Nefertari family, chose to remain in his home country with his family and is thus not considered a World Noble. In the present day, one other family gave up their status to live among commoners; three of its four members have since died, and the fourth is a notorious pirate.)
- Marines: The massive navy that supports the World Government. Its leader is the Fleet Admiral, supported by three Admirals and soldiers of the sixteen official ranks below them (plus three other special ranks).
- Cipher Pol: a series of secret agencies who do investigations, assassinations and intelligence gathering for the World Government. There are ten divisions, from CP-0 to CP-9.
- Shichibukai ("Seven Military Seas" or "Seven Warlords of the Sea"): Seven (nominally) pirates turned privateers in the service of the World Government. Since the series started, four of the original seven (and two of their four replacements) have lost or resigned their positions; as of the conclusion of the Dressrosa Arc, there are only five active Warlords. (See "Notable non-Loopers" for members.)
- Yonko ("Four Emperors"): four incredibly powerful pirates who rule the second half of the Grand Line. During the "Summit War" saga, one of them was killed; his murderer subsequently usurped his position. (See "Notable non-Loopers" for members.)
- Revolutionary Army: An organization founded and led by Monkey D. Dragon (father of Monkey D. Luffy), dedicated to overthrowing the World Government. Because of this, Dragon is known as "the world's most wanted criminal".
- Devil Fruits: Special fruits that grant the consumer incredible powers, at the cost of their ability to swim. These fruits are the source of the powers of many of the most powerful people in the One Piece world, including members of the Marines, Shichibukai and Yonko. A person can only eat one Fruit; eating a second will cause their body to destroy itself. In addition, an individual Fruit's power can only be used by one person at a time. When the current user dies, their power is reincarnated through another piece of normal fruit, and can then be eaten by another person. Only Blackbeard has shown the ability to hold more than one power at a time, which is believed to be because of his "atypical body structure". They come in three main varieties:
- Zoan: allows the user to transform into an animal or a hybrid state. They can also be "eaten" by inanimate objects, such as weapons.
- "Ancient" Zoans represent prehistoric creatures.
- "Mythical" Zoans represent mythical creatures, such as the phoenix. They are said to be the rarest of all Devil Fruit varieties.
- "Artificial" Zoans are man-made fruits. The majority are referred to as SMILEs and belong to people working for Kaido of the Yonko, though a prototype version, created by Dr. Vegapunk, has been eaten by a friend of the Straw Hat Pirates.
- Unique among Devil Fruits, Zoans can come in different "models", such as the Dachshund, Jackal and Wolf models of the Inu Inu no Mi (Mutt-Mutt Fruit). These "models", though related to one another, are considered separate fruits and not different incarnations of the same power.
- Logia: allows the user to generate, control and transform into an element. They are said to be the rarest main variety, though Mythical Zoans are even rarer.
- Paramecia: the most common type of Devil Fruit, they cover everything else. Common powers include changing other people and objects into something else; controlling certain items or qualities; generating and controlling certain things; or morphing all or part of themselves into another form.
- Special Paramecia: A sub-class of Paramecia, though the exact details of it are unknown; the only known example, the Mochi Mochi no Mi, is functionally identical to a Logia.
- Zoan: allows the user to transform into an animal or a hybrid state. They can also be "eaten" by inanimate objects, such as weapons.
- Haki: a power that comes in three varieties.
- Kenbunshoku/Observation Haki (also referred to as Mantra): lets the user sense spiritual energy.
- Busoshoku/Armament Haki: lets the user use their lifeforce as armor. This power can bypass the defenses of a Devil Fruit user to strike the "true body" of the user.
- Haoshoku/Conquerer's Haki: lets the user overpower enemies through sheer willpower. Only one person in a million has this power.
- Seastone: A rare substance that is essentially the power of the sea in solid form. It nullifies Devil Fruit powers, and ships lined with it cannot be detected by Sea Kings.
Straw Hat PiratesEdit
- "Straw Hat" Monkey D. Luffy: Anchor and captain of the Straw Hats, he ate the Gomu Gomu no Mi (Gum-Gum Fruit), which turned him into a Rubber Man. He has also mastered all three types of Haki.
- "Pirate Hunter" Roronoa Zoro: The crew's swordsman and creator of the Santoryu (three sword style), carrying one in each hand and one in his mouth.
- "Cat Burglar" Nami: The crew's greedy navigator and weather expert, who utilizes the Clima Tact staff in battle.
- King of Snipers" Usopp: The crew's long-nosed and somewhat cowardly sharpshooter with a penchant for bragging and telling tall tales.
- Black Leg" Vinsmoke Sanji: The crew's chef and master of the Black Leg technique, with kicks strong enough to shatter boulders into dust.
- Cotton Candy Lover" Tony Tony Chopper: The crew's doctor, a reindeer who ate the Hito Hito no Mi (Human-Human Fruit), a Zoan which gave him sapience and a humanoid form. He has mastered his Devil Fruit to the point where he has more than just a Zoan's usual three main forms.
- Demon Child" Nico Robin: The crew's archaeologist, a former assassin who can read the language of the Great Kingdom that was overthrown by the World Government, which has tried to eliminate her since she was a child because of this ability, fearing she could use it to find and use three ancient and extremely powerful weapons they also left behind. She ate the Hana Hana no Mi (Flower-Flower Fruit), which lets her "bloom" body parts on other surfaces.
- "Cyborg" Franky: The crew's shipwright and resident cyborg/speedo enthusiast, fueled by cola. He built the crew's second ship, and was apprentice to Tom, the Fishman who built the Oro Jackson, the ship that Gol D. Roger's crew sailed on.
- "Humming" or "Soul King" Brook: The crew's musician, a perverted fencing skeleton with an afro and a weird sense of humor. He ate the Yomi Yomi no Mi (Revive-Revive Fruit), giving him the power to come back from the dead, but it took him a year for his soul to find his body, which had decayed to a skeleton in that time.
- Merry Go: The crew's first ship, a caravel with a sheep's head for a figurehead. She was given to the crew by Kaya, a friend of Usopp's, after they saved her from being murdered by the Black Cat Pirates. Merry ultimately perished after her keel broke, but lives on as a Looper after manifesting as a human in the world of Harry Potter.
- Thousand Sunny: The crew's second ship, a brig sloop with a lion's head for a figurehead. She was built by Franky and became a Looper after manifesting as a human in the world of Harry Potter.
- Nefertari Vivi: Princess of Alabasta and honorary Straw Hat, as she traveled with the crew from Whiskey Peak to Alabasta. In baseline, she decided to stay at home and rebuild her country; in the Loops, she instead stays with the Straw Hats on occasion.
- "Fire Fist" Portgas D. Ace: One of Luffy's sworn brothers and leader of the second division of the Whitebeard Pirates, he is the biological son of Gol D. Roger and sworn son of Whitebeard. He ate the Mera Mera no Mi (Flame-Flame Fruit), which lets him generate, control and transform into the element of fire. Despite dying in baseline, he has activated as a Looper.
- Edward Newgate, alias Whitebeard: One of the original Yonko and Ace's superior, who views all of his subordinates, including visiting Loopers (such as Sakura Haruno) as his children. Known as the Strongest Man in the World, he ate the Gura Gura no Mi (Tremor-Tremor Fruit), letting him generate shockwaves by shattering the air. Despite dying in baseline during the Battle of Marineford, when he and Luffy met and tried to save Ace from the government, he has activated as a Looper.
- Sabo: Luffy and Ace's other sworn brother, second-in-command of the Revolutionary Army that seeks to overthrow the World Government. Believed dead for years, he was actually rescued and recruited (albeit suffering from amnesia) by the group's leader, Luffy's father Monkey D. Dragon. Having recovered his memories after Ace died in baseline, he was revealed to be alive during Luffy's visit to the kingdom of Dressrosa, when he inherited the powers of the Mera Mera no Mi, which had reincarnated after Ace's death.
- Enel (or Eneru): The main antagonist of the series' Skypiea Saga, Enel is one of the Straw Hats' most powerful enemies, with the ability to use Observation Haki (which he refers to as Mantra) and ate the Goro Goro no Mi (Rumble-Rumble Fruit), which lets him generate, control and transform into the element of lightning. Enel is one of the few non-loopers from Luffy's native world who still earns his respect (for his power), and Luffy personally takes action to control which non-native Loopers face him, due to his record against unprepared non-Loopers.
- Akainu (real name Sakazuki): One of the Navy's three Admirals at the time Luffy's adventures started (and later Fleet Admiral). Like Enel, he has the ability to use Haki (but has only demonstrated Armamanet Haki), and ate the Magu Magu no Mi (Mag-Mag Fruit), which lets him generate, control and transform into the element of magma. He killed Ace in baseline, becoming Luffy's only enemy to completely break his spirit and giving him an undying hatred of the other man. Since Luffy began Looping, he has beaten Akainu to a pulp many times for this act.
- The other two Admirals (at the start of the Loop) are Kizaru (real name Borsalino), who ate the Pika Pika no Mi (Glint-Glint Fruit; Logia with the power of Light) and Aokiji (real name Kuzan), who are the Hie Hie no Mi (Chilly-Chilly Fruit; Logia with the power of ice). Following the timeskip, two new admirals have been recruited: Fujitora (real name Issho), who ate a Paramecia that lets him control gravity, and the as-yet-unseen Ryokugyu.
- Shichibukai: Of the eleven Shichibukai (as some have been replaced over the course of events), Luffy and his crew have come into conflict with all but three.
- "Hawk-Eyes" Dracule Mihawk: The "Strongest Swordsman in the World", Zoro aims to defeat him and take his position as Strongest Swordsman. Mihawk, though officially an enemy, is intrigued by the Straw Hats and spent two years training Zoro before he entered the New World.
- "Sir" Crocodile: The first Warlord that Luffy personally defeated, liberating the kingdom of Alabasta from his control (causing him to lose his Warlord status), though the two became reluctant allies during their escape from Impel Down and the Battle of Marineford. He ate the Suna Suna no Mi (Sand-Sand Fruit; Logia).
- "Heavenly Demon" Donquixote Doflamingo: The third Warlord that Luffy personally defeated, freeing the island kingdom of Dressrosa from his tyrannical rule and causing him to lose his Warlord status. He ate the Ito Ito no Mi (String-String Fruit; Paramecia).
- "Tyrant" Bartholomew Kuma: A former Revolutionary and ally of Luffy's father, Kuma has since been turned into a cyborg with no will of his own. Before his transformation was complete, Kuma used his powers to send the Straw Hats to different parts of the world, allowing them to spend two years getting stronger before entering the New World. He ate the Nikyu Nikyu no Mi (Paw-Paw Fruit; Paramecia).
- Gecko Moria: The second Warlord that Luffy personally defeated, freeing the shadows he had stolen and allowing them to return to their original owners. He was stripped of his status after the Battle of Marineford due to being too weak for the government to use anymore. He ate the Kage Kage no Mi (Shadow-Shadow Fruit; Paramecia).
- "Pirate Empress" Boa Hancock: The only female Warlord, she was initially Luffy's enemy but fell madly in love with him when he protected her sister's slave tattoo from being exposed. She aided him in breaking into Impel Down and during the Battle of Marineford, but has retained her Warlord status. She was forced to eat the Mero Mero no Mi (Love-Love Fruit; Paramecia) during her time as a slave.
- "Knight of the Sea" Jinbe: The only Fishman member of the Warlords, he was imprisoned in Impel Down for refusing to fight against Whitebeard (due to the latter having made Jinbe's home of Fishman Island his territory, protecting it from enemies). After Luffy broke him out of Impel Down, Jinbe resigned from his position during the Battle of Marineford, and has become an ally of the Straw Hats, intending to officially join them once Big Mom (whom he'd needed to ally himself with to keep Fishman Island safe in the aftermath of Whitebeard's death) is defeated.
- "Blackbeard" Marshall D. Teach: See main entry under "Yonko".
- "Genius Jester" Buggy the Clown: An early enemy of Luffy's, Buggy was invited to become a Warlord in the aftermath of the Battle of Marineford. He and Luffy have yet to come into conflict since then. He accidentally ate the Bara Bara no Mi (Chop-Chop Fruit; Paramecia), which he had hidden in his mouth, when he was startled by a crewmate and consequently swallowed it.
- "Surgeon of Death" Trafalgar D. Water Law: One of the "Eleven Supernovas" (along with Luffy and Zoro), Law helped rescue Luffy at Marineford. Two years later, he formed an alliance with Luffy, ostensibly to defeat Kaido. However, his true target was his fellow Warlord Doflamingo. After his alliance with Luffy cost Law his Warlord status, he has agreed to continue going after Kaido. He was forced to eat the Ope Ope no Mi (Op-Op Fruit; Paramecia) as a child so he could use its powers to cure himself of his Amber Lead Syndrome, a condition which would have otherwise been fatal.
- "Whitebeard Jr." Edward Weevil: The self-proclaimed biological son of Whitebeard, Weevil wants to find Luffy and learn the whereabouts of Marco the Phoenix, Whitebeard's first division commander, from him; Weevil is mainly interested in his supposed father's treasure. As of the baseline's Whole Cake Island arc, he and Luffy have yet to actually meet in person, and the baseline Luffy does not know about him, though the Looping Luffy is aware of him through copies of their Hub backup.
- Yonko: Of the five Yonko (one has died and been replaced), Luffy and his crew have come into conflict with three.
- "Red-Haired" Shanks: The man who inspired Luffy to become a pirate and gave him his straw hat. After Whitebeard's death in canon, he was the only rational member of the Yonko left.
- "Whitebeard" Edward Newgate: See main entry under Loopers.
- "Big Mom" Charlotte Linlin: A female pirate with 85 children, she seeks to create a family including every species in the world (except for the giants, due to her past actions leading to the deaths of two people they valued and their undying hatred of her). Linlin's behavior leads her to be feared; she forces countries under her protection to pay tribute every month or be destroyed, and requires residents of her personal country of Totto Land to surrender a portion of their lifespan every six months or leave. She also believes in cementing alliances through marriage, wedding off her children to someone she wants as an ally. This includes having her daughter Charlotte Pudding marry the third son of the Vinsmoke family; in reality, she plans to exterminate the entire Vinsmoke clan during the wedding. For these actions, she is Luffy's enemy, since the Vinsmoke's third son is his crewmate Sanji. She somehow inherited the powers of the Soru Soru no Mi (Soul-Soul Fruit; Paramecia) from its previous wielder, her caretaker Carmel, who disappeared mysteriously during the event.
- Kaido "of the Beasts": Referred to as "the strongest creature in the world", Kaido is building up an army of Zoan Devil Fruit users, primarily using Artificial Devil Fruits, with the help of his subordinate Donquixote Doflamingo and Doflamingo's associate Caesar Clown. It was later revealed that Kaido had murdered the ruler of Wano Country and taken control of it. Because of these crimes and the alliance Luffy has made with Trafalgar Law (who initially only wanted to defeat Doflamingo), Luffy has resolved to overthrow Kaido.
- "Blackbeard" Marshall D. Teach: A member of Whitebeard's crew until he murdered their fourth division commander Thatch and stole the Devil Fruit (the Yami Yami no Mi, or Dark-Dark Fruit, a Logia which lets him generate, control and transform into the element of darkness) the latter had found, Teach is responsible for defeating Ace and handing him over to the World Government (earning him a position as a Shichibukai, replacing Crocodile), and later for breaking several powerful criminals out of the prison Impel Down. During the Battle of Marineford, he resigned his Shichibukai position and killed Whitebeard, stealing the powers of the Gura Gura no Mi (Tremor-Tremor Fruit; Paramecia) for himself (making him the only one who could hold two Devil Fruit powers at once) and later usurping his position as a Yonko. Due to his role in causing Ace's death in their baseline, and later his attack on Baltigo (the island where the Revolutionaries, including Luffy's father and Sabo, are headquartered), Luffy has a strong hatred for Teach.
- Eleven Supernovas: Eleven rookie pirates, including Luffy and Zoro, who had each earned a bounty of 100,000,000 Berry or higher before reaching the end of the first half of the Grand Line. Together with Blackbeard, they are known as the Worst Generation. The nine non-Straw Hats are:
- "Captain" Eustass Kid: Captain of the Kid Pirates; ate a Paramecia Devil Fruit that lets him manipulate magnetic forces.
- "Massacre Soldier" Killer: Fighter for the Kid Pirates; the only member of the Eleven Supernovas (aside from Zoro) not known to have a Devil Fruit.
- "Magician" Basil Hawkins: Captain of the Hawkins Pirates; ate a Devil Fruit associated with voodoo dolls.
- "Red Flag" X. Drake: former Rear Admiral in the Marines and Captain of the Drake Pirates; ate an Ancient Zoan Devil Fruit that lets him turn into a Gigantosaurus. Currently a subordinate of Kaido.
- "Surgeon of Death" Trafalgar D. Water Law: Captain and doctor for the Heart Pirates; served as a Warlord for a time, but lost this status after he allied with Luffy to take down Doflamingo and Kaido. Ate the Ope Ope no Mi (Op-Op Fruit). (See also his entry under Shichibukai.)
- "Roar of the Sea" Scratchmen Apoo: Captain of the On Air Pirates, member of the Longarm Tribe; ate a Paramecia Devil Fruit that lets him morph his body parts into different musical instruments and uses sound for a weapon. Currently a subordinate of Kaido.
- "Big Eater" Jewelry Bonney: Captain of the Bonney Pirates, only female among the Worst Generation. Ate a Paramecia Devil Fruit that lets her change people's (including herself) ages.
- "Gang" Capone Bege: Captain of the Fire Tank Pirates. Plotted to kill Big Mom, while acting as her subordinate in an effort to become close to her; he later allied with the Straw Hats because they also wanted to defeat her. Ate the Shiro Shiro no Mi (Castle-Castle Fruit; Paramecia), turning his body into a living fortress.
- "Mad Monk" Urouge: Captain of the Fallen Monk Pirates and native of an unidentified Sky Island; ate a Paramecia Devil Fruit that increases his size and strength when he takes damage.
- Sakura Haruno: Sakura Looped in as a member of Whitebeard's crew, and his unconditional acceptance of her, despite her past, made her very happy.
- Vinyl Scratch: Vinyl Looped in as a Replacement for Scratchman Apoo and gained his Devil Fruit powers. She is one of only a few who have kept said powers beyond a Loop reset.
- Captain Jack Sparrow: Like Vinyl, Jack Looped into the world of One Piece and ate a Devil Fruit, in his case the Logia-type Sake Sake no Mi (or Rum-Rum Fruit, as he calls it), which allows him to create, control and transform into alcohol, and has figured out how to retain its powers beyond a Loop reset via having it reincarnate through a fruit in his Pocket.